Saturday, January 02, 2016

The Lord's Prayer



In the book, Alone with God,  John MacArthur quotes an unknown author about the Lord's Prayer.  It was incredibly convicting to me.


Mat 6:9  After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10  Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11  Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Mat 6:14  For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Mat 6:15  But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

The unknown author states:

I cannot say "our" if I live only for myself in a spiritual, watertight compartment.
I cannot say "Father" if I do not endeavor each day to act like His child.  
I cannot say "who art in heaven" if I am laying up no treasure there.  
I cannot say "hallowed be Thy name" if I am not striving for holiness.
I cannot say "Thy kingdom come" if I am not doing all in my power to hasten that wonderful day.
I cannot say "Thy will be done" if I am disobedient to His Word.
I cannot say "on earth as it is in heaven" if I will not serve Him here and now.
I cannot say "give us....our daily bread" if I am dishonest or an under-the-counter shopper.
I cannot say "forgive us our debts" if I harbor a grudge against anyone.
I cannot say "lead us not into temptation" if I deliberately place myself in its path.
I cannot say "deliver us from evil" if I do not put on the whole armor of God.
I cannot say "Thine is the kingdom" if I do not give the King the loyalty due Him as a faithful subject
I cannot attribute to Him "the power" if I fear what men may do.
I cannot ascribe to Him "the glory" if I am seeking honor only from myself.
I cannot say "forever" if the horizon of my life is bounded completely by the things of time.

What an amazingly challenging quote.  

No comments: